Sunday, December 7, 2008

Sweet manipulation

My daughter, G, 3 years old, has a funny little imagination. I don't remember when she started this kind of pretend play, about 4 months ago, maybe. I really don't know what goes on in her little head, but it usually involves a lion or a tiger in an imaginary pursuit of her.

Lately, I have started trying to use it to my benefit:

When G is taking FOREVER (literally) to eat half a PB&J sandwich...

G: "Uh-oh, here comes the tiger. He's gonna get you."

Me: (dramatically) "Oh No! He looks hungry, you better eat your sandwich before he eats it."

and we make a little progress with the sandwich...

Or when it is nap time and she is singing to herself (or screetching, what ever you want to call it) ...

G: "Here comes the lion, you better hide"

Me: "You better get in bed under the blanket and be quiet so he can't find you."

Is that cruel? ... am I in the process of creating a real fear of lions and tigers? a fear of something taking her lunch?

The only act I can't really work with is her little doggie act. She now greets people on all fours, with her tongue hanging out, panting like a puppy. She has even started licking me. But she is not an obedient puppy. If I say: "come," she doesn't.

The other day at the park, she crawled up to 2 teenage boys like that... and just sat there panting for a long time, watching them, barking softly... and no amount of fun playground suggestions would move her.

What do I do with that?

No comments: