Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Euphoria. . . part one (maybe)

I am late in posting, so perhaps the "shock and awe" phase of Obama's victory has passed. . . but no matter, ........if you are reading this, it is probably years after the fact anyway.

I am so proud of my country today. I don't know that I can find the words to explain why and don't have the time, so I will post an exerpt from Anna Quindlen's article "What Obama Means to This Nation" in Newsweek:

"I felt I was part of a country that was living its principles. Despite all our prejudices, seen and hidden, millions of citizens managed, in the words of Dr. King, to judge Barack Obama by the content of his character and not the color of his skin. There were many reasons to elect him president, but this was one collateral gift: to be able to watch America look an old evil in the eye and to say, no more. We must be better than that. We can be better than that. We are better than that."

You can read the entire article here

Not everyone voted for Obama, but he won by pretty wide margin. I am sure that many of those who voted for McCain did not count race as a factor, but there are many white Americans, I am convinced, who believe they are racially tolerant enough to vote for a black candidate for president, but found every possible excuse NOT to. I should also add that many of us who voted for Obama did not do so because of his race, but because of his judgment, his temperment, his values, and his ideals.

p.s. If you are wondering (I am sure you are not) why I am not posting pictures with my election posts. . . well, I think you already know what Obama looks like. His handsome face would just distract you from reading a fascinating post)

No comments: